This new edition is a complete research–based language development program
that uses vibrant, engaging illustrations to facilitate vocabulary acquisition
and academic language success. This research–based program:
- Is flexible enough to be used in any teaching situation
- Provides explicit instruction through research–based routines
- Makes vaocabulary and academic language accessible to beginning language
- Is aligned to key state and national curriculum standards, including the
Common Core State Standards
- Explicitly teaches more than 1,000 words
- Includes 70 topics grouped into 9 thematic units
- Has units that focus on the language of home, school, social studies, science,
health, and math
- Is available in an English/Spanish bilingual edition
- Each topic teaches content area vocabulary in context using rich visual
support and has an academic language point that provides presentation
and practice of key grammar and language skills
- Unit expansions at the end of every unit use graphic organizers to review,
recycle and extend language and culminate with an activity to develop
and practice critical thinking skills
- Workbook includes two pages of scaffolded vocabulary and academic language
practice for every Dictionary topic.
- Reproduction collection includes pre–reading, reading, post–reading, and
writing practice for every Dictionary topic, plus more than 800 word and
picture cards. It contains two books—Everyday Language and Social
Studies and Health, Science and Math.
- Teacher’s edition, based on research–based instructional routines, is structured
in a wraparound format with four pages of instruction per topic.
- Classroom audio CDs contain clear pronunciation of all Dictionary
terms and the reproducible collection readings.
- Assessment CD–ROM contains simple, customizable tests for every topic.