Raven Tree Press publishes high quality children’s picture books. We look for family oriented storylines with universal appeal for preschool and elementary aged children. We do not publish reference books, religious topics, non–fiction, or activity books.
• Stories should have universal themes and deal with family or social situations. They should appeal to 4–8 year olds and have approximately 750 words. (We edit our books down to 750 words maximum.)
• Most of all, they should feel like they’d fit our line. Please spend some time looking through our website and reading about our books to determine whether your story might be a fit. Remember, we only publish picture books. We are NOT interested in rhyming pieces, alphabet books, word play books or books well over 750 words.
• If your manuscript meets the criteria above, send an email describing your story (plot, word count, target audience, what makes this story unique) to email@example.com. You may attach the completed story if you wish. It must be in Word or PDF format.
• Raven Tree Press accepts unsolicited art samples periodically throughout the year. It is best to review guidelines before sending your work, as needs and desired style requirements may change. We have a strong desire for illustrations that tell a story through expression or artistic interpretation. Artwork that tells a story is also highly desired.
• Submit all artwork as PDFs via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include a biography stating expertise and any published work. Samples should show variety of styles and mediums. Book design experience is preferred, but not required. Include website information (when available).
• Do not send any queries or manuscripts by snail mail. We are going paperless.
• Due to the large number of queries we receive, we are no longer able to send individual replies for queries we do not wish to pursue. You will receive an automated reply that we received your query.
• We will follow up with another email ONLY if we wish to see your full manuscript and/or additional artwork.
(Important tip: unless you are also an artist, do NOT include illustrations with a requested manuscript.
• If you do not receive another email within a month or so, please realize that your story/artwork was not considered a fit for our line. But do not despair: we only publish several books per year, so we need to be extremely selective.