ESL PHONICS FOR ALL AGES
ESL Phonics for All Ages is a six–book series designed both for English language learners who read in a non–Roman alphabet native language and for English learners who cannot read in any language. All six books presume a limited vocabulary in English and limited understanding of sentence structure. It has been extensively tested with student’s aged 7 to adult who are learning to read and write in English.
- Uses high–frequency, unambiguous vocabulary that beginning English learners need to know or already know.
- Sequences the sound/symbol presentation to follow natural development of language learners’ skills in sound discrimination. Short vowels, often very confusing for new language learners, are presented last.
- Has an audio component to provide native–language presentation of the text and to allow individual students to advance at their own pace.
- Uses a multifaceted approach so students advance in phonetic awareness, reading, spelling, vocabulary, sentence structure, conversation, and pronunciation.
- Uses full spellings of all words. This allows for students to become familiar with whole words and provides a head start for success when later sound/symbols are presented.
- Presents sight words in contexts needed by first–year ESL students.
- Repeats sentence patterns to enhance success.
- Provides songs, chants, poems and conversations for whole–language reading.